The seeds of growth of second level education were planted in the Carrick area in 1950. The first second level classes were conducted in an outhouse adjacent to the Red House on the Teelin Road. Subjects taught included Woodwork, Mechanical Drawing and Mathematics. Con O’Donnell from Rannafast conducted these classes. Initially 12 students, all boys, were enrolled. Classes continued in this venue until 1956.
In 1956 a new school building opened in Carrick and female students were admitted for the first time. Peggy Delap, a Home Economics teacher from Gweedore was also employed. A total of 59 students were enrolled in 1956. But considering that there were 17 national schools operating in the area, catering for 727 students, further growth was inevitable.
By 1968 the enrolment had grown to 173 students and two rooms were rented in the Old National School in Carrick and the Leaving Certificate curriculum was introduced for the first time. In 1973 a new second level school was opened in Killybegs and no further enrolments came from there, which meant that there was now sufficient accommodation for all students at the one location at the Carrick school.
The vast majority of this accommodation was in prefabs and they were not suitable for the extreme weather conditions that sometimes arise in summer and winter. Work got underway in 1988 on the current building and it was opened in 1990 by the Minister of Education, Mary O’Rourke.
Article adapted from 'A Brief History of the School' by Gerrard Breslin, originally published in Seal Scoile 1950-2013.